[lbo-talk] Pussy Riot Proposed for Luther Prize

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Oct 7 22:33:17 PDT 2012

Read the statement in it's entirety. It is naive/disingenuous at best. They did what they did to provoke. And provoke they did. Otherwise, I don't see much content to their letter. I don't think they should go to prison, but they're not exactly going to prison. They're going to a penal colony, with the possibility of outside employment and home leave on weekends. Not fun, but a little less bad then prison. And no, I would not have penalized them so. I would have ignored them.

But let's talk about their "political" acts:

1. Entered church of Christ the Saviour wearing baklavas and performing an obscene pantomime, kicking up their legs, and shouting obscenities, while cameras rolled. No song. That was dubbed over in the video. (Respect for religion? I think not.)

2. Filming group sex with full penetration (including a pregnant woman near term) in a museum to protest Medvedev's election.

3. Filming a band member inserting a stolen chicken into her vagina. (I can't recall what that was protesting. But it's obvious, no? Oh well.)

You do not act like this if you have any actual hope or faith in the people (hence the nihilism). I see no political sense here except to create the greatest possible outrage to ensure media coverage. If this is the political form of the creative Russian intelligentsia, dog help them.

And tell me this. Why is a Russian artistic group whose chief concern is to raise the consciousness of the Russian people give itself an English name?

Joanna