[lbo-talk] Iraq buys military hardware from Russia

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 13:24:27 PDT 2012

     Russia lost lucrative deals it had with Iraq after the invasion although it has won back some contracts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/world/middleeast/04oil.html?_r=0

— Guided by American legal advisers, the Iraqi government has canceled a controversial development contract with the Russian company Lukoil  for a vast oil field in Iraq ’s southern desert, freeing it up for potential international investment in the future.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2011/12/2011122813134071641.html

 - While the US military has formally ended its occupation of Iraq, some of the largest western oil companies, ExxonMobil, BP and Shell, remain. On November 27, 38 months after Royal Dutch Shell announced its pursuit of a massive gas deal in southern Iraq, the oil giant had its contract signed for a $17bn flared gas deal. Three days later, the US-based energy firm Emerson submitted a bid for a contract to operate at Iraq's giant Zubair oil field, which reportedly holds some eight million barrels of oil. "Prior to the 2003 invasion and occupation of Iraq, US and other western oil companies were all but completely shut out of Iraq's oil market," oil industry analyst Antonia Juhasz told Al Jazeera. "But thanks to the invasion and occupation, the companies are now back inside Iraq and producing oil there for the first time since being forced out of the country in 1973."

Cheers ken   Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:54:56 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Iraq buys military hardware from Russia