[lbo-talk] Hayek, was Re: Stalinism (was Eric Hobsbawm)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:37:58 PDT 2012

Carrol: "How can a rational pricing system, or any pricing whatever, stop growth?"

[WS:] I do not necessarily subscribe to your premise, but did not most modern societies stopped growth through pricing system? That is, children stopped being assets (free labor, old age security) and became liability in terms of cost needed to raise and educate them, without any returns (no child labor, and old age security provided through the state or the market.)

To my mind, this is a very powerful argument that pricing can dramatically change human behavior, if given sufficient time.

-- Wojtek