[lbo-talk] catastrophism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 14 07:58:02 PDT 2012

Below I use the word "discomfort." One can't agree or disagree with a book one has not read; but one can be attracted or put off by the aroma a book puts out -- that's how everyone decides whether to read a given book or not. That aroma comes from blurbs, reviews, casual references, etc. For example. I read _Sartoris_ about 50 years or so ago and can't remember it. I have an audio version of it which is based on the 1950 paperback, & includes the Introduction to that edition by a critic whose name I can't recall just now. That critic argued that the book introduces the controlling theme of Faulkner's work, namely the Compson/Sarotris/etc--Snopes contrast. Then in listing Faulkner's later books he skips Absalom Absalom, leaping forward to Go Down Moses. That aroma stinks. I can't trust anything that critic says, and in fact it persuaded me that I'd better spend my time listening again to As I Lay Dying, Sound & Fury, and Absalom Absalom then listen to Sartoris.

The blurbs to Catastrophism don't allow me to "judge" the book; I'd have to read it to do that. But they do create an aroma that persuades me I'd rather listen to Moseley's Fear of the Night again rather than get a text of Catastrophism and have Zoomtext read it to me. It is not a sensible way ot allocate my time.

Carrol

I'm familiar in practice with the "doomsday environmentalists"; they are a pain in the ass.

BUT -- for the most part they simply are not "part of 'the left.'" This even showed up in the first Earth Day in 1970! Any pages devoted to them in the book under discussion are mostly wasted pages. Jan & another local comrade have felt it necessary to attend meetings of Vision 20; it's one of those situations where 'we' have to support 'them,' but _they_ feel no fucking obligation whatever to support us.

And here we run into the limit to practice determined by the point Miles, shag, myself have tried to make over the years: Persuasion or argument fail completely to persuade. As a practical or empirical matter only practice or changed social conditions affect people's basic opinions. So it's a waste of breath arguing with Vision 20 people; in fact it's counterproductive.

And there we have my core discomfort with this book; what's the point of it? It won't change any minds; it will only be read by people who are already leftists instead of "catastrophists," and for them it can only be a distraction from more important reading. (And this discomfort is intensified by the information that the authors aim at both left AND "right" catastrophism. Do they really think they can say anything that will reach off the page and 'persuade' rightists not to be rightists? Absurd.

Carrol

On
> Behalf Of shag carpet bomb
> Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:52 AM
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org; lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] catastrophism
>
> I can't tell much from the blurb but there were a couple of guys who wrote
> a book 2-3 years ago about doomsday thinking among environmentalists.
Their