[lbo-talk] ....as for the storm

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Oct 28 16:18:07 PDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Eleutherios <eleutherios.rizooto at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28-Oct-12 14:59, // ravi wrote:
>> I understand you write out of genuine concern and I appreciate that, but no, I have no plans of taking this seriously. In particular, I have no plans of joining the masses hoarding up on gasoline, duct tape, and whatever shit they find still available on store shelves. —ravi
> One's particular location will determine the impacts. For most, it will be prolonged strong winds and heavy rain, downing trees and causing minor structural damage. There will prolonged power outages in many areas throughout the Mid-Atlantic to Northeast. For low-lying areas, flooding from the storm surge and rain will be more problematic. This isn't about not being a drone, consumer, or panicky. […]

True. I was being a bit facetious, reacting the usual drum up in the media. Which does not eclude the possibility of real danger, as you point out. Right now, it looks like the forecast has changed a bit from a prediction that put Sandy as meeting its namesake, Sandy Hook, a few miles from me, to crossing somewhere farther south, and heading towards Philadelphia.

I grew up with hurricanes and typhoons. But that was in a concrete house with bars and wooden windows and temperatures dropping to no lower than 75F. Good samaritans and opportunists alike used to wait on the bridges to fish household items (including thatch roofs) floating by with ropes and hooks, to return or “resell” to owners. Lots of tragedy as the poorest people were also the ones livin close to riverbanks.

> On 28-Oct-12 15:09, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>> Maybe a table will open up at Eleven Madison Park?

You have me mistaken for the typical NYC hipster. I am part of the bridge and tunnel crowd. We go into the city to eat at Sbarro :-).

—ravi