[lbo-talk] ....as for the storm

Eleutherios eleutherios.rizooto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 16:59:10 PDT 2012

The fusion of sensationalism and ignorance that is corporate media is nauseating, but I did want to stress that in this case it's not just hype. Irene also had potential to be severe but there was much more uncertainty that it would happen. This hybrid system will probably be unlike what almost anyone living has ever experienced. Buoys are reporting 40 foot waves between Bermuda and Virginia http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/storm.php and the storm won't peak for about a day. Storm surge at some coasts may greatly exceed the 10-15' numbers I've conservatively given http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/151337.shtml?gm_psurge#contents (but Zone C should remain safe).

Forecast/impacts update http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspot.com/2012/10/145pm-sunday-hurricane-sandy-forecast.html?spref=tw and older preparedness statement from the NYC NWS office http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.nous41.KOKX.html (shag's list was good)

Alternative Twitter source to the #Sandy / #frankenstorm hashes: https://twitter.com/Thiella/sandy

On 28-Oct-12 18:18, // ravi wrote:
> True. I was being a bit facetious, reacting the usual drum up in the media. Which does not eclude the possibility of real danger, as you point out. Right now, it looks like the forecast has changed a bit from a prediction that put Sandy as meeting its namesake, Sandy Hook, a few miles from me, to crossing somewhere farther south, and heading towards Philadelphia.
>
> I grew up with hurricanes and typhoons. But that was in a concrete house with bars and wooden windows and temperatures dropping to no lower than 75F. Good samaritans and opportunists alike used to wait on the bridges to fish household items (including thatch roofs) floating by with ropes and hooks, to return or “resell” to owners. Lots of tragedy as the poorest people were also the ones livin close to riverbanks.

#HackAlert http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/10/weather-forces-romney-to-shift-lying-to-other-states.html

Three "debates" (four counting the VP) and much discussion about energy but nothing about climate change, and now this is coming for the election. I saw that politicians are now requesting that yard signs be picked up so they don't become projectiles. Such fodder for an able writer or cartoonist. At least one climate change influence are warmer Atlantic waters. This enables stronger hurricanes farther north (and later in the season) and also exacerbates the rapid deepening of low-pressure due to baroclinic effects of warm water adjacent to cool water (i.e. Gulf Stream). Atmospheric circulation patterns are also affected, but those are harder to pin down as to influence on specific events.