[lbo-talk] and then there's always war movies....

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 09:10:44 PDT 2012

Red badge of courage

The good, the bad, and the ugly

The grand illusion

Oh! What a lovely war

Johnny got his gun

Did someone one mention paths of glory?

Lawrence of Arabia, if you can stomach david lean

The African queen (German war in east Africa)

Alexander Nevsky (a favorite of Stalin's, the Teutonic Knights wear coal scuttle helmets)

Saving private Ryan, if you can deal with that great generation bullshit, good battle scenes

Dr strangelove, on Tom Lehrer's theory that if there are going to be WWIII moves we better start making them now (he said it about songs but the point carries over)

Red dawn, in which kansians get to play Vietcong. I mean the john Melius original. I guess this is sort of a WWIII movie,though what the Cubans want with Kansas is not plausibly explained, nor how the Russians and Cubans get here. Maybe they all took boats to Miami, evaded the coast guard, and drove down the interstates in their tanks and half tracks. With all the SUVs on the road, who'd notice? Or maybe that was before suv's.

Spartacus

Seems to me there ought to be a good movie of the Iliad, but that thing with brad Pitt was awful, likewise the movie of Alexander the Great, and the 300 was a comic book

Baron munchausen (terry Gilliam)

I understand that there is an excellent soviet era series or multipart war and peace, many a t. Series

Sent from my iPad