[lbo-talk] on circumcision

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 07:46:46 PDT 2012

I'm curious if this will stir some shit.

It was only a couple of months ago, I think, at PZ Myers's blog that I noticed there are people out there who get really upset by circumcision. Myers's angle of course is his disdain for religion, but what was interesting in the comments was dismissal for the medical case as well (the WHO and CDC view it positively on balance). The recent position change of the APA (to that the marginal benefits outweigh the marginal risks, but not enough actually encourage the practice) jibed with my previous, superficial understanding of the matter, but blew a lot of people's gaskets.

What I find interesting is the heated rhetoric around the matter -- emotive words like mutilation and critiques leading with insistence on conflicts of interest on the part of researchers, very reminiscent of antivaxers. Not that I think there's no case against the practice (I think for my own kid I'd lean against) but the impassioned reaction strikes me a little weird. Like, if you're going to think that much about my dick you might ought to ask me out.

What say you?

-- Andy