[lbo-talk] Intellectual property rights, free trade, and free markets

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 08:26:11 PDT 2012

andie_nachgeborenen

Once upon a time Hollywood films were written by reds like the Hollywood 10. After the blacklist that was less true, but a lot of them kept on under pseudonyms. They gave us, among other things, film noir, a bleak view of the American Century refracted through German Expressionism. But since they were mostly CPUSA reds, they wouldn't have been inclined to portray their favorite revolution accurately, inspirationally or at all, even if they had been give a chance to. During WWII they gave us a certain amount of Stalinist drivel like Mission to Moscow, which the studios allowed when we were briefly allied with the USSR against Hitler. Now Reds is just a bad movie, way too long, never got all the way through it. But has a good soundtrack by Sondheim and one great love song, Goodbye for Now, although I don't think they play the lyrics in the film.

^^^^^^ CB: Trotsky is one of the stars in the Hollywood movie _Reds_. You and Chuck should love it. Stalin isn't in it at all. Just Lenin and Trotsky. Emma Goldman is in it ,too, arguing with John Reed in Greenwich Village and Petrograd.