[lbo-talk] Gold, populism, right wing politics

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Sep 2 15:35:14 PDT 2012

Doug wrote:

For sure. But many right-wingers are often described as "populists" including today's Tea Party. And many of them are goldbugs. Which is weird. It's not a complex point. ___________________________________

I don't know if it's weird. Right wingers tend to be essentialists. They mostly argue that reality is pre-set, that we don't make shit up as we go along, and that any differences in status are pre-ordained and reflect real/inborn differences. The govt should not interfere with this underlying reality. Gold, as a repository of value, reflects that model. It was made by god/nature and its value cannot be manipulated as that of fiat money can.

....so, I dunno, it seems a consistent position.

Joanna