[lbo-talk] Support the Adorno Prize for Judith Butler

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 21:43:46 PDT 2012

I wrote about Butler's analyses of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in my book Israel vs. Utopia. I made the argument that Butler makes necessary distinctions that are useful for Diaspora and non-Jewish progressives critical of Israeli policy, especially in regards to the kinds of criticisms that have been leveled at Butler as of late.

While I think Butler ought to have been more careful with her characterization of Hezbollah and Hamas, it's important to point out that reactionary forces in the Jewish community are always looking for verbal openings like these, in order to prove their charges of anti-Semitism, and discredit leftist intellectuals and Jewish progressives.

Judith Butler is an especially vexing character to such conservatives, as she has enormous credibilit, as an academic intellectual, whose work in other areas, in their view, has helped sell her Israeli-Palestinian heterodoxy.

Best, Joel