[lbo-talk] Cast of "Reds"

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 18:56:25 PDT 2012

Are there more Lenin statues left than Stalin statues? Is anyone making new Stalin statues?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com

Well, they must have put them back up, then, because last I was there they were down or coming down. They shut the Lenin Museum off Red Square decades ago. I have no idea what they did with the typewriter on which he was said to have written Imperialism, or his armored Rolls, or his underwear. And they renamed Leningrad back to St. Petersburg, what, in 1991? I think the polls consistently show that Stalin remains more popular, though both of them decreasingly so.

^^^^^^

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=statues+of+lenin+in+russia&oq=statues+of+lenin+in+russia&gs_l=serp.12..0i30.8538426.8546306.0.8556789.26.18.0.5.5.2.1874.6072.0j9j4j1j2j1j8-1.18.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.b01td5RkpBw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=bf525e541b623bda&biw=1440&bih=783

^^^^^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statues_of_Lenin

In the Soviet Union, many cities had monuments of Vladimir Lenin. With the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, many of them were broken with no permission from their authors. This happened even earlier in the European post-Communist states and in the Baltic states. However, in many of the former Soviet Republics (namely Russia, Belarus and Ukraine) many remain, and some new ones have been erected.[1] In Ukraine Lenin monuments[2] and other Soviet-era monuments are still being removed.[3] But on the occasion of the 139th anniversary of Lenin two new Lenin monuments were erected in Luhansk Oblast.[1]

http://en.rian.ru/columnists/20120709/174504025.html

Deeper Than Oil: How Many Lenin Statues?! 23:58 09/07/2012 Weekly column by Marc Bennetts

Do you know how many Lenin statues there are in Moscow? That was the question I posed to friends and acquaintances on Monday after an evening of research (it was a quiet evening). No one guessed the answer. It's been more than twenty years since the collapse of the Soviet Union, yet there remain 82 Lenin statues in the Russian capital! And that's the official number. Connoisseurs say there are at least another ten the authorities have missed. You can check them out here.

© RIA Novosti. Marс Bennetts Yes, I was stunned as well. Oddly enough, there are a mere three in the centre of Moscow, with the rest located in the city suburbs. Not far from the capital, in the small town of Dubna, stands the second largest Lenin statue in the world, at 25 meters (37m if you include the pedestal.) In case you were wondering, as you undoubtedly were, the largest Lenin statue on the planet is in Volgograd, which is also home to the gigantic Mother Russia World War II monument (they don't do things by half in Volgograd). All across Russia, there are scores more monuments to the father of the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution. There's an odd and massive disembodied Lenin head in east Siberia's Ulan-Ude. A tiny, bronze Lenin monument set among the magnificent scenery of the remote, mountainous Altai Republic. A coal-caked Lenin in the industrial city of Novokuznetsk. And so on. Communist Party head Gennady Zyuganov even attended the unveiling of a newly restored Lenin statue in the Urals city of Ufa late last year.