[lbo-talk] Cast of "Reds"

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 22:49:43 PDT 2012

CB

Of course Stalinist promoted a cult of Lenin. They used the real respect that he had created by his ideas and actions to legitimate a butcher's regime whose premises, including, centrally, the cult of personality, were largely opposed to Lenin's ideas. Lenin himself had an inkling about what might happen were Stalin's actions unchecked, and warned the Bolshevik leadership about it in his Testament, suppressed, of course, under Stalin. The Bolshevik leadership Lenin warned was murdered almost to a person by 1940, mostly in the Great Purge of '37.

Although I'm not a Leninist, I never said that Leninists were a cult. I said the Soviet Union under Stalin and after fostered a cult of Lenin. Some self-styled Leninists are cultists, but rejection of the worship of a personality is so fundamental to Lenin's ideas that it is hard to take such people's claim to be Leninist seriously.

I don't think that Lenin ever used the term Leninist or Leninism, any more than Marx ever called himself a Marxist -- we have Engels' word that he expressly rejected the term; Marx called his ideas, collectively, "the materialist conception (or theory) of history"; the term "Marxism" was invented by Bakunin to charge people who admired Marx of following a cult if personality, and was only adopted by the Second International after Marx's death.)

I said I liked the architecture of Lenin's tomb, a red square in Red Square, and found the mummified body of Lenin grotesque, as would he, which we know because of statements he made before his death about how he wanted his body to be handled -- any way but that.

It's a fallacy to suppose that just because Lenin wrote an incredible amount he wanted later generations to slavishly follow his words. Almost all his writings were specific and concrete interventions shaped to the needs of particular situations, accordingly they are not a consistent system and it would not be possible to follow them all. (Marx's and Engels' ideas also, although they are more systematic and often less occasional than Lenin's.)

Lenin said, I paraphrase, that political thinking is precisely about grasping the concrete moment and acting accordingly. If he had known that his ideas would be mummified along with his body under Stalin, I'm sure he would have wished that his writings could be recalled and burnt. He hoped that people would think for themselves (a capital crime under Stalin), along the general lines he was thinking to be sure, but not proceed by treating his interventions as universal and eternal truths.

But we've been having this argument for at least 30 years, haven't we? And we just get older.

Andie

Sent from my iPad