[lbo-talk] Lefty library of pdfs

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 07:19:00 PDT 2012

Marx spent the 1860s writing Capital. The first "volume" of Theories of Surplus Value, the notes that are sometimes marketed as vol. 4 of Capital, we're written around 1862-63. The Grundrisse was abandoned in 1858, though there were intervening works such as contribution to the Critique of Political Economy in 1859. In any case it was "only" a decade between the first unpublished writings in the vein of Capital, vol 1 its actual publication in 1867. Marx made a living writing newspaper articles and being subsidized by his wealthy fried, the capitalist Frederick Engels. It would not have been reasonable for Marx to expect to make a living by putting years into writing a long and immensely difficult and rather technical book. That doesn't mean he or his publishers meant it to be distributed for free.

Sent from my iPad