[lbo-talk] Origin of "privatization"

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:03:10 PDT 2012

Joanna: "The argument however would be better if the thesis were that radical conservative counter revolution is the appropriate form of conservatism for capitalism -- a fairly dynamic economic system."

[WS:] I do not think I would agree with it. For most of the industrial revolution in the19th century, capitalist conservatism was of the conventional variety, basically noveau riche bourgeoisie aping aristocracy and buying aristocratic titles. Only the success of the communist revolution changed that in the sense that the defenders of capitalist privilege adopted the methods effectively used by communists and fellow travelers. Robin argues that the French revolution had the same effect on English conservatism espoused by Burke.

So the only thing that is "appropriate" about capitalism is the appropriation of value created by others (revolutionary ideology) and using it to accumulate power.

-- Wojtek