[lbo-talk] "tool" as insult?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Sep 12 05:57:14 PDT 2012

When I was a lad, 'tool' was one of the innumerable allonyms of 'dick', though it wasn't yet then used in the insulting sense, referring to another person. But I always figured that latter sense was just a standard extension of the former -- cf the semantic development of 'dick' itself, and 'prick'.

Are there other dick-words that we use disparagingly to refer to people? At the moment I can't think of any.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org

See something, say nothing. See nothing, say something.