[lbo-talk] Lefty library of pdfs

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 10:43:56 PDT 2012

Have you actually provided a mailing address yet?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Chuck Grimes <cagrimes42 at gmail.com> wrote:

You know this could use some realistic organization. It's expensive
> to ship large quantities of books. I'd like to know they were going
> to a library and not some re-seller.

If anyone's inclined to send books over here, but wants absolute verification of where they're going, I'll give them directly to the book exchange (http://diwanghazza.com/?page_id=595) a bunch of the kids have organized. Which is kind of like reselling, in a roundabout way, since participants trade in books they've already read for ones they haven't. The problem with handing out scarce quantities of something like books for absolutely free is that they're as likely as not to go to people who won't actually read them. I see that sort of thing happen all the time here, but it's usually stuff like powdered milk, which I don't care about.

Organization's good, but I'm not necessarily in the best position to do it, and I'm also not sure putting lots of time and energy into coordinating what would be, essentially, an aid project is the best use of anyone's time. Honestly, I wish most Americans who work on sending stuff to places like Gaza would stop, and organize against their own government's policies instead! That's what the place needs most, and big, well-considered charities often distract from it. But in the meantime, books are good.