[lbo-talk] Streaming music kills the planet, your CD collection doesn´t (as much)

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:51:34 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> It makes sense, if you think of it... producing and shipping a CD is a

one-time carbon footprint effort, while keeping datacenters humming

24/7 and the network infrastructure so that you listen to a bit stream

every time you hit PLAY has a larger energy consumption...

> http://grist.org/list/your-cd-collection-is-greener-than-spotify/
>
> FC

When I have time I'll run the numbers to see if the study really is counting everything. Meantime, downloading (as in itunes) where you download once then listen from a permanent file on a local device as often as you want has a lower footprint than either.