[lbo-talk] For those following Honduras: "Charter Cities"?

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 20:27:43 PDT 2012

 Many libertarians do not think of  Friedman as a libertarian as he is described by you in the link you gave. In fact many libertarians are very critical of his ideas. Indeed some of his ideas involve using state power to alter income distribution a position that is diametrically opposed to libertarianism. Here is a sample of Murray Rothbard's critique:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard43.html

"The single most disastrous influence of Milton Friedman has been a legacy from his old Chicagoite egalitarianism: the proposal for a guaranteed annual income to everyone through the income tax system – an idea picked up and intensified by such leftists as Robert Theobald, and one which President Nixon will undoubtedly be able to ram through the new Congress   In this catastrophic scheme, Milton Friedman has once again been guided by his overwhelming desire not to remove the State from our lives, but to make the State more efficient.  "

I don't think Nixon ever rammed such a proposal through congress!

Cheers ken

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

________________________________

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:50:06 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] For those following Honduras: "Charter Cities"?

On Sep 14, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is exaggerated, right? Please?
>
> "The Charter Cities initiative cedes city-sized sections of Honduras
> to corporations or foreign governments to govern autonomously,
> indefinitely.  Investors can make their own laws, build their own
> police force, administer services and regulate their economy.
>
> "On September 4, Michael Strong, representing the MKG Group, signed a
> memorandum of understanding in the Honduran Congress to establish the
> world’s first Charter City, a contract is surrounded by confusion and
> secrecy.  Strong provided no information about the MKG Group, which
> has no web site or any other readily available public information."
>
> http://afgj.org/the-world%E2%80%99s-first-charter-cities-in-honduras-from-neo-liberalism-to-neo-colonialism

Not at all. Milton Friedman's grandson Patri, who thinks that libertarianism is incompatible with democracy, is involved. Belen Fernandez has a good piece about it all here:

  http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/07/2012711121224166933.html