[lbo-talk] Chicago mayor takes legal action over strike

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 11:01:38 PDT 2012

Actually the ACA was upheld under the tax power, not, in a disturbingly activist piece of judicial interpretation, the commerce power. Any federal legislation has to be justified by, or based on, an Article I (legislative) power. The volumes that this fact has to speak are just that the Constitution gives all three branches limited powers because the framers wanted, and subsequent generations have agreed, a federal government of limited powers. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but you seem to read something sinister into that fact.

I agree that the Constitution does not protect against the power of money or ensure that people have right to what they need to make the rights it does give us meaningful. However, your narrow focus on the federal Constitution ignores the fact that it is neither a source of nor a limit on most of the law we deal with, which is state (legislative) law or state administrative law. State law is all that is at issue with the mayor's action against the teacher's union.

Sent from my iPad