[lbo-talk] The effect of drones

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 28 07:45:23 PDT 2012

> [WS:] The right question to ask is not whether the use of this or that
> technology is justified, but whether the war itself is justified. My
> sense is that the anti-war people correctly feel that opposing the war
> in principle is not a very popular proposition when you fight unsavory
> characters like al Qaeda or Taliban, so the change the subject and
> oppose using a particular technology, which dove-tails with populist
> sentiments (cf. water fluoridization or immunization of children
> scares.)

WS wholly misconceives the _purpose_ of anti-war activity, which is precisely to make _unpopular_ what is now popular! We have to bring large numbers of Americans to sharply oppose the U.S. making war on unsavory characters.

Difficult? Yes? Possibly impossible at present? Probably. Necessary nevertheless to attempt? Yes.

Carrol