[lbo-talk] Capitalism and slavery

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 11:38:53 PDT 2013

[WS:] I have mixed feelings about this piece. It focuses on an undoubtedly most reprehensible American institution that nonetheless has been abolished. So any debt to slavery is at best moral. This, however, obscures a much more dangerous question to ask - how much does capitalist development owe to labor that created it. This is far more dangerous because paying reparations for slavery is not very realistic, but compensating labor for its contribution to US development is quite realistic. At the very least, such compensation should involve living wages, free health care, education and other social benefits, but more properly - nationalization of all capitalist property. This is the right framework to consider this type of problems.