[lbo-talk] Class structure in the UK

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 04:47:29 PDT 2013

A follow up on this. This study is clearly influenced by Bourdieu's concept of class distinctions <http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/bourdieu-review.htm>and it offers a finer classification of the group that I elsewhere<http://wsokol.blogspot.com/2012/01/day-after-neoliberalism.html>labeled "technostructure." However, to follow Bourdieu, many of the "classes" identified in the UL study are more appropriately called "class fractions" or subsets of a class. Thus, established middle class, technical middle class and new affluent workers are "fractions" of the class that I called technostructure. There are two unifying elements of this class: its relationship to the means of production (selling knowledge, which is distinct from both financial capital and labor) and ideological identity (which again sets them apart from capital owners and laborers).

So with that in mind, it is more appropriate to speak of four classes: the elite, the tehchnostructure (with three class fractions), the working class, and lumpenproletariat. The latter should be viewed as a distinct class based on objective (relation to the means of production) and subjective (ideological affinity) factors. Unlike the working class, lumpenproletariat does not sell their labor power but rather exploits, by sponging off or extortion, the value produced by other classes (mostly working class). It also has its own cultural identity that distinguishes it from other classes.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> People in the UK now fit into seven social classes, a major survey
> conducted by the BBC suggests.
>
> It says the traditional categories of working, middle and upper class are
> outdated, fitting 39% of people.
>
> It found a new model of seven social classes ranging from the elite at the
> top to a "precariat" - the poor, precarious proletariat - at the bottom.
>
> More than 161,000 people took part in the Great British Class Survey, the
> largest study of class in the UK.
>
> Class has traditionally been defined by occupation, wealth and education.
> But this research argues that this is too simplistic, suggesting that class
> has three dimensions - economic, social and cultural.
>
> The BBC Lab UK study measured economic capital - income, savings, house
> value - and social capital - the number and status of people someone knows.
>
> The study also measured cultural capital, defined as the extent and nature
> of cultural interests and activities.
>
> The new classes are defined as:
>
> *Elite *- the most privileged group in the UK, distinct from the other
> six classes through its wealth. This group has the highest levels of all
> three capitals.
>
> *Established middle class* - the second wealthiest, scoring highly on all
> three capitals. The largest and most gregarious group, scoring second
> highest for cultural capital
>
> *Technical middle class* - a small, distinctive new class group which is
> prosperous but scores low for social and cultural capital. Distinguished by
> its social isolation and cultural apathy
>
> *New affluent workers* - a young class group which is socially and
> culturally active, with middling levels of economic capital
>
> *Traditional working class* - scores low on all forms of capital, but is
> not completely deprived. Its members have reasonably high house values,
> explained by this group having the oldest average age at 66
>
> *Emergent service workers *- a new, young, urban group which is
> relatively poor but has high social and cultural capital
>
> *Precariat, or precarious proletariat* - the poorest, most deprived
> class, scoring low for social and cultural capital
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058
>

> -------
>
> Wojtek

-- Wojtek