[lbo-talk] Social security on the chopping bloc?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 04:35:38 PDT 2013

How ironic. I don't buy the principles argument at all. The POTUS is a sounding board or echo chamber if you will. His role is to reaffirm what's considered "common sense" not to grand stand on principles, as resident idealist Maoists on this list allege. The elite and technostructure believe that SS is "broken" and needs"fixing". It's "common sense" for those with six or seven digit incomes who don't need SS. And this "common sense" is parroted by politicians.

Keep it in mind that 20th century social protections were not spearheaded by politicians, except perhaps Otto von Bismarck. The were first considered "common sense" by technostructure, a bulwark against Bolshevism. Politicians simply parroted and implemented it. The same holds today.

So instead of childish Obama bashing, look for materialistic explanation- the power balance and the interests of technostructure and upper middle classes and elites.

PS. I love the Groucho Marx quote. Wojtek