[lbo-talk] Riverbend is back....

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 13:23:30 PDT 2013

> The writing does not seem quite like last time. Makes me wonder....
>
> http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2013_04_01_archive.html#3554538807908354245#3554538807908354245
>
> Joanna

I don't think it is the same person. She often talked about her uncle or cousin and what other family thought or were doing. Her last posts covered the frustration with the border protocols, the combination of managing fear with the comical. Much more ambiguous. Since I am much older, she seemed like a daughter who refused to go along with a crashing world, a kind of persistance in being young, like a right to not grow old too fast. Sometimes she seem almost a ditz and chatterbox as part of her persistance to be `normal'.

I don't believe it. Everything mentioned in this post was already present by the middle-late of 2007 when she signed off in the re-crossing to Syria. It was apparent she was tech-savvy in the unix like format of webpage and so forth. My theory was its plain format was a way of hiding or make it difficult to trace and cheap.

So, checking source, the blog is so clean, I can read it. Maybe automatic webpage formatting has gotten cleaner, but I doubt that. Back when I last checked most of that auto-software writes near garbage code that is unintelligible. I don't know for sure, but I assume the garbage comes from an assemblege of java do-dads you click to add `design' to the page. In my humble and not well informed mind, java is the sum of all programming evil in the universe.

Checking her last 2007 entry her sentences were longer and more refined and communicated a kind of ambivalence-sadness I associated with her in my memory...

I'll believe its the original if somebody like Juan Cole thinks so...

CG