[lbo-talk] "healing process"

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 04:18:25 PDT 2013

Fernando quotes: "targeting a single nation or state in this highly complex world is not appropriate and does little to advance the cause of peace and coexistence.”

[WS:] I tend to agree. Exclusive focus on Israel as the sole culprit of human rights abuses in the region misses the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Saudi Arabia denies citizenship rights to half of its population, is a major funder of international terrorism, has a mockery of justice system that routinely executes people on whimsical charges, is a major warmonger in the region fomenting US aggression toward its neighbor states, and has arguably one of the most undemocratic political systems on this planet - yet not only is it shielded by the US ruling class from any criticism, but nobody even proposes to boycott big oil and financial companies that do business with it.

This of course does not mean that Israeli policy toward Palestinians should not be criticized, but let's keep some sense of proportion here. Whatever is wrong with this policy, it pales in comparison to the feudal theocracy next door.If one proposes to boycott Israel, one at the very least should also include Saudi Arabia in the mix.

Wojtek