[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Muscular Christianity, Eugenics, War, Football, and Imperialism

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 13:30:11 PDT 2013

> This is an extract from a book that Vincent Portillo and I are writing,
> The
> Matrix: An Exploration of the Interactions between the Economy, War, and
> Economic Theory.
>
> In the late nineteenth century, a fear about the softness of American
> society raised doubts about the capacity of the United States to carry out
> its imperial destiny.

Sounds great. Also look into the Boy Scouts of America as another of those institutions for a muscular Christianity. The establishment of outdoor physical activity, cold showers, and rigorous hiking was an international phenomenon particularly in Germany during the period of the early 20thC. So there were the Wandervogel movements. Jews were excluded of course, so they started their own under the early Zionists. Strauss was a Jewish Boy Scout in the Bleuweiss in high school... And the football connection has a parallel in early German soccer leagues where one of the teams was the Bleu-Weiss--not Jewish to be sure. They were a strong a nationalist team by the 1930s and were disband when the Allies occupied Germany.

The other interesting parallel for a more muscular Christianity comes from the Catholics and the 1917 Code of Canon Law that mandated Aquinas be the center of study in Catholic colleges and universities. It was a reaction to the soft liberalism creeping into to orthodoxy via Descartes, Kant, and Hegel. Getting tough on doctrine meant back to Aristotle!

CG