[lbo-talk] Good Show

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 13:57:00 PDT 2013

Got around to listening to Behind the News this morning. The program featured Penny Lewis on the 1960s movements, their mythological composition and their actual composition...which was a more complex mix of class than has become the common history narrative. And a lot more. It's worth the few minutes to listen.

I got sick of trying to explain some of this back in the 1980s when it seemed the mythological rendition became orthodox...well so fuck it.

The other part was on the disintegration of the military -- another component that's been trivialized as a drug and social adjustment problem. A story that blamed the symptoms as usual. The other part which wasn't covered was the idea that vets coming home got spit on. Maybe somewhere but not with anybody I knew. I thought at the time that was a Nixon spin that has become orthodox and needs a debunk because it was simultaneous with the disintegration and was constructed to off set the idea that you could get out or walk away and get to safety --- off set the idea that resistance was winning.

The process of disintegration is something that needs to be studied in a deep sense because I suspect it is near universally the case if a war lasts too long.

CG