[lbo-talk] Contradictions of contemporary working class consciousness

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 05:05:52 PDT 2013

, JOANNA A. <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> Yes well, the three problem with unions:
>
> -- The leadership (See Jane MacLeavy "Raising Expectations and Raising Hell"

^^^^^ CB: Although the rank and file are not more militant than the leadership. The leadership pretty well represents the ideology of the rank and file: opportunism

^^^^

> -- The fact that their struggles are confined to their own benefits and do not embrace a wider social agenda

^^^^ CB: See Lenin's criticism of trade unionism pure and simple or "economism"; failure to get involved in politics or a wider social agenda. ^^^^^^^^

> -- The slant of media coverage

^^^^^^ CB: Yes as the monopoly media is controlled by giant corporations , of course.

^^^^^