[lbo-talk] Check your privilege?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Aug 18 06:13:41 PDT 2013

What's always funny about these conversations is that I remember a feminist blog war that ensued when a blogger supported some racist POV. I can't remember the details except that among the critics of said blog, the white bloggers were very keen to argue and very keen to call what had happened racist. It was the women of color bloggers who checked their white feminist allies, asked them to tone it down and, repeatedly, refused to use the "r" word - even in the face of some ridiculous Scarlett O'hara-like flouncing.

So, actually, I don't think I've been subjected to the kind of thing Andy or andie describes - it being used as a power play to shut down a conversation. In these circles, it's usually used because the fact is that everyone is going to have privilege by contrast to someone else.

In other words, the reason why the women of color bloggers actually refused to trade in this kind of discourse was precisely because, because they banded together across all kinds of lines of stratification (as far as they were concerned - e.g., ethnicity, religion, sexuality, transgender, nationality) - there were far more familiar with the need to unpack their privilege in order to work together. They'd all fucked up, in other words, and said something that hurt someone else with whom they had to work, together, in order to accomplish political goals.

I suspect that this kind of practice works as *political* practice. online, it's all blah blah blah. It's not connected to any sort of political practice that unites anyone in shared goals.

it's all just more blah blah blah where the whole point is merely to win an argument, beat someone at some rhetorical game of who can hold out the longest.

All the blah blah blah has no practical end other than rhetorically snuffing out an opponent you (general you) don't think you actually need in order to achieve some shared political goal.