[lbo-talk] Check your privilege?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 05:30:29 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

This ability to get spitfire angry with other whites, to be mean and nasty
> in an attack on racism, was something that, as a group, we ended up having
> to ask ourselves why it so easily happened: an uneasy conclusion we came
> to, though could never really finish fleshing out, was that this anger is,
> in and of itself, a manifestation of white privilege. I don't know the
> answr to that or even how to explain it well, but I think it's worth
> exploring.

It seems simple enough to me: moralizing is easier than political struggle and, if one has a flair for the dramatic, more fun.

That's probably at the root of an excessive focus on individual privilege, as if systematic oppression were simply the sum of it, too.

(Note that I'm not claiming anything like the amorality of radical politics. In fact, I don't even understand those claims.)