[lbo-talk] Irrelevance of Intelligence RE: Check your privilege?

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Mon Aug 19 19:24:54 PDT 2013

On 20/08/2013, at 12:11 PM, "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> The idea of a "smart" President is relatively new. Perhaps even starting with Clinton. No one has ever demanded that the President be "smart" more than Al Gore.

Perhaps that was a reaction to Reagan? Who played at being a bit of a fool but wasn't really.

Anyhow, I guess you can't expect someone be terribly smart, but average intelligence is not a big ask. Not when you are talking about someone who is for all intents and purposes an elected monarch, with enough power to inflict the kind of self-harm on the country (not to mention injury to others) that GW Bush did.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas