[lbo-talk] HUD Proposes Plan to Racially, Economically Integrate Neighborhoods

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 07:53:45 PDT 2013

Where we read: "The proposed federal rule, called "Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing<https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/07/19/2013-16751/affirmatively-furthering-fair-housing>," is currently under a 60-day public comment period. Though details of how the policy would specifically work are unclear, the rule says HUD would provide states, local governments and others who receive agency money with data and a geospatial tool<http://www.huduser.org/portal/affht_pt.html#dataTool-tab> to look at "patterns of integration and segregation; racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty; access to education, employment, low-poverty, transportation, and environmental health.""

[WS:] I support the goal but remain skeptical about the means of achieving them. A better way would be substantial investments in public transportation and cooperative housing. Car is #1 contributor to racial segregation in the US, while privately owned individual homes is #2.

-- Wojtek