[lbo-talk] my interview w The Real News: Pressure Mounts for US to Cut Aid to Egyptian Military

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 06:14:09 PDT 2013

The following may seem to some too trivial in the context, but I dont think so. In the movie *The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!* two wonderful comic actors, Paul Ford and Jonathan Winters, memorably and definitively portray the foolishness of needing to do something---anything---in a crisis.

However, "remaining silent" is perhaps not the best description of what WS recommends, since it can connote a refusal to be aware. One must speak up (as WS in fact does) against those who fall into the trap of taking action purely for its own sake and resist the easy falsehood that not to take sides is to attempt to escape responsibility.