[lbo-talk] On the term, "Political correctness"

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 11:03:21 PDT 2013

* *To say that people are wrong about something is not the same as "to politically correct" them. Even were the phrase used as a verb (which I don't think I ever saw or heard before), it would imply more than simple disagreement; it would carry the connotation of *enforced* agreement. To pretend that it doesn't have this connotation is to run the risk of evoking for your audience a well-known passage in the *Through the Looking-Glass*: * *

"When *I* use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose

it to mean—neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you *can* make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

The real problem with the phrase is that the right has managed to convince many that only the left has "political correctness"; anyone who subjects him- or herself to comments on rightwing blogs knows that there is a "party line" at that end of the spectrum, too. For example, it's well known that as exemplars of "toeing" the talking heads of Fox News hold their own with the apparatchiks of the *Pravda *of yore.