[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Move On volunteers block MoveOn promotion of petition against Syria war

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Aug 26 13:14:53 PDT 2013

No, I do not know what produced the objections. But the objections appear to have been overridden. The note has been removed, and the petition now has 4800 signers.

If I had to guess, I would guess that it was a knee-jerk response by some people to what they perceived as a partisan attack on President Obama. There is an unfortunate dynamic that when there is a Democratic President and a Republican House, some Democrats perceive the defense of Congressional war powers as a Republican, anti-Democratic concern.

Of course, if one is a person who is concerned with defending Congressional war powers as a means of preventing war, this is a horrible dynamic, and this is why I am determined to fight it.