[lbo-talk] WMD redux

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 15:46:01 PDT 2013

I'm sorry, but this is misinformed.

The Syrian regime is an appallingly evil and monstrous ethno-national dictatorship, as close to a classical Fascist state as you can find these days, which has tortured and murdered hundreds of thousands of its own citizens, and regularly launches Scud missiles on its own cities (pure terror weapons). Its main support is the Alawite community (about 10% of Syria) and it is backed for sectarian reasons by Hezbollah and Iran. Syria has a genuine, homegrown revolution, which has been systematically defeating the regime through a heroic and bloody guerilla war. There are extremist elements to the revolution, but mostly it remains a popular insurrection against a despicable regime.

The chemical attacks are real, and were documented by Syria's extensive and amazing network of citizen journalists. Thousands of innocent civilians, including large numbers of children, were gassed in rebel neighborhoods by an organized military operation, using equipment that only the regime has. No, this is not CIA propaganda. Doctors Without Borders recently confirmed the chemical attacks, and the video, eyewitness and UN inspector evidence is overwhelming. (I track the social media sites. You cannot fake rooms full of dead children who were obviously killed by non-explosive means.) The regime committed a crime against humanity. The world should act by taking out Assad's dwindling but still-deadly air power and missile sites. No other intervention is need, the Syrian people can and will do the rest.

-- DRR