[lbo-talk] Updated: 191 Reps., Including 72 Democrats, Call for Debate & Vote Before War With Syria

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Fri Aug 30 16:12:22 PDT 2013

On 31/08/2013, at 8:16 AM, knowknot at mindspring.com wrote:

> On 8/30/2013, Wojtek S wrote:
>
> > Technically speaking, aerial attack alone is not a "war"
> > - or at least it has not been in the past practice - so
> > the POTUS is free to launch one without a Congressional
> > approval.
>
> Technically speaking, a unilaterally undertaken aerial attack by the U.S. military against a country with which the U.S. is not at war is an act of war.

Knownot forgets, the first casualty of war is the truth. I'm sure Wojtek was merely trying to illustrate this salient point with his sarcastic assertion that an act of war is not, in and of itself, a war. (Is Rumsfieldian an adjective yet?) Consciously or otherwise, the point is well made.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas