[lbo-talk] The Pierre Omidyar Trojan horse

Eleutherios eleutherios.rizooto at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 15:16:09 PST 2013

Greenwald mostly dodges the susbstance of the argument, which is admittedly better elucidated in the first NSWFCorp article. Greenwald's work has made waves and I've defended him in the past against those arguing he's a partisan or even libertarian/neoliberal hack/tool, partially because of the contrast to Democrat/liberal flacks that altered their positions when Democrats led the spying and partially because Greenwald apparently shifted left from earlier stronger libertarian ideology. The absence of criticism of corporate actors speaks loudly, however, as does his typical vituperative offensive defense (a writing style which I could accept if more responsive than evasive).

For a longer history and more analysis, this blog http://ohtarzie.wordpress.com/ has been covering these angles for months. There is a back story to this, in that Ames and Greenwald are in a preexisting feud, but the gist of Ames/Levine's argument remains intact and there further issues as yet unexplored by them but better covered in this blog.

Wojtek was right to be suspicious but government spying is indeed pernicious and it also discredits government and the public sphere so the NSA revelations are important and the better response is measured criticism rather than outright dismissal. I could see Carol considering this a distracting internecine squabble, but I do think it's important to understand "NewCo" and the journalists involved considering their influence, and that the dynamics of this are revealing. The Rancid Honeytrap blog takes a more systemic, less singular, and less "personal" view at this.