[lbo-talk] Legality of Consulting with 501(c)(6) and Working on Hill Simultaneously

Steve Horn stevehorn1022 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 19:18:58 PST 2013

Hi All:

Was wondering if any of you had any idea what the legality is of doing consulting for a categorized 501(c)(6) organization (trade associations) and also being a paid staffer for the U.S. Senate at the same time? I discovered a huge scoop that fits this categorization and I'm now just trying to figure out the ethics laws behind it.

In other words, not the "revolving door," but wearing two hats at the same time. This group does not register as a lobbying organization, but it is very influential in terms of being a PR machine.

Please email me off-list if you can refer me to some legal resources that might lend an explanation to this inquiry, or on-list is fine, too.

Thanks much and hope you're all having a great weekend.

Very Best, Steve Horn