[lbo-talk] with a whimper, not a bang

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 08:01:36 PST 2013

Shag: "What you are seeing is not about old technology but the systematic manipulation of our behavior. If these principles weren't being systematically deployed in order to stave off what was, historically, the typical lifecycle of interactive social media, then you would probably see the same thing happening elsewhere."

[WS:] I am not I follow. Do you argue that lbo-talk should use systematic manipulation as other social media outlets to stay competitive?

I can understand that social interaction that is focused on technology such as CB radio or FB may follow a life cycle of that technology - as the technology becomes obsolete, the interest diminishes and so does the social interaction that focuses on that technology. However, I do not think that lb-talk was focused on technology - it focused on the old fashioned debate on ideological issues. The use of email-based technology was incidental - it facilitated the exchange process and perhaps added some streak of nastiness that would not have occurred in a face-to-face discussion, but it was no much different than exchanging ideas via other media, say, print.

This is different than, say CB radio of FB which forces a type of interaction that would have not occurred in their absence. That is people talk on CB radio or use FB not because they have something to say, but because they have access to this new "cool" toy that requires them to say something.

My own conjecture is that lbo-talk is not very successful in attracting "new blood". It is populated mainly by old farts whose postings are predictable like bowel movement. It is no surprise that after 10 or so years they have told each other what there is to say - like an old couple.

Only newcomers can provide new perspectives that can stimulate interest and new interaction. The problem is, however, that newcomers either cannot communicate in coherent paragraphs anymore thanks to debilitating influence of technologies such as texting, or they can but they have no interest in interacting with old farts and prefer more lively company - or perhaps an illusion of it - on FB or twitter. The analogy I would use is that of old PA or WV mining town - most inhabitants are retirees who know each other in and out and have nothing new to say to each other, while most of the younger folk left the town for more sexy pursuits.

-- Wojtek