[lbo-talk] Happy winter solstice

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 11:31:17 PST 2013

I look forward to this day and begin to long for it around the first dreary November day whenever the last of the daylight savings goes away. It used to be a real drag when I was working because I got home, even if it was only blocks away, at dark.

Now tomorrow is one notch closer to early spring and longer daylight.

Below is an interesting map of the religious USA by county. You can see many of the problems with the government and society just by reflecting on the map. I don't see any Druids.

But there are misleading features. The way I look at the map, I see a corporate franchise distribution. The Catholics pioneered the franchise idea for the New World and the Protestants followed suit. Obviously the Baptists came out strong. But they are segregated so, Black churchs which are strikingly different on the political spectrum even if socially conservative. Also no matter where, like there always seems to be a McDonalds, there is also probably a Catholic church, unless Burger King or KFC got to the corner first... Well then Walmart is probably a better parallel...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/files/2013/12/2010-Largest-Group-by-County.jpg

CG