[lbo-talk] with a whimper, not a bang

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 05:27:06 PST 2013

We can hope that young artists will become fed up with the shit sooner rather than later, and that they will then want to protest. Given the pervasiveness of the neoliberal ideology, it's likely that the protest will have to take deniable forms as was customary in the past when people lived under various forms of authoritarian rule. It can be argued that such art actually requires more cleverness than much of what has passed for protest art under the advent of neoliberalism. A basis for cautious optimism, perhaps. Meanwhile, the old farts are not expected to be polite---one of the few advantages of age---and should continue to provide models for the young to pick up on when they're ready to.