[lbo-talk] Have a happy and merry December 25

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 07:27:19 PST 2013

I am far from being an expert on 1st-century Judean history, but I think the evidence that the Jesus of Christianity is based on someone who actually lived is pretty good, attested by sources nearer to being contemporary than the New Testament. As with Shakespeare, Occam's razor suggests that it is more likely that there was someone recognizably connected to the figure who has come down to us than that it was someone else or no one. Of course, the Jesus of Christianity is a fictional character, and no one event in the story can be implicitly relied on, including the crucifiction. Some of his sayings, however, are thought to date from a contemporary compiliation, now lost, that was incorporated by the writers of the Gospel accounts. We ourselves can witness how a person we all know was real is being changed into a fictional character in the case of MLK.