[lbo-talk] evangelical antipathy to taxes / governemtn

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 13:59:13 PST 2013

I do not think it is about money. It is about service delivery. Churches see themselves as the "proper" venue of delivering human services (education, health, social assistance) and resent government competition (see for example the Catholic doctrine of subsidiarity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidiarity_(Catholicism) ) Protestant churches adhere to the same principle e.g. in the Netherlands or in Switzerland.

Since taxes fund public service delivery, this makes churches redundant. Case in point, countries with the most generous public welfare system (i.e one delivered by state agencies rather than by private providers who are reimbursed by state) tend to have low church attendance rates (cf. France or Scandinavia.)

Wojtek