[lbo-talk] EDF suing climate activists for ?5 million - protesters face losing homes

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Thu Feb 21 19:55:03 PST 2013

Not necessarily to "punish" the poor. I think it is more designed to keep them out, or if they are already in to drive them out, of the semi-rural areas favoured by those who like to live there. That is, those who can afford to buy the nice houses that already exist in these areas, they favour planning policies which ensure that their view is not cluttered up by other people building houses nearby.

In my area it is difficult to get planning approval to build on land zoned rural. You need a very large block size. Subdivision is often refused permission. Farmers even have difficulty getting approval to build a new house for themselves on their farm. They are subject to conditions like being required to tear down the old house (Whereas before this regime they would tend to rent out the old house.)

This is here done in the name of "protection of agricultural land", though this protection is selective. There is no problem buying up cheap agricultural land and planting monoculture eucalypt plantations, its only a problem if you want to build dwellings.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas