[lbo-talk] Graber on consensus

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:03:39 PST 2013

I'm going to answer Barlett below. But I should point out that my Quaker example was not an example of the failure of consensus, but the high price sometimes paid for success. I'm also curious. I seem to be the only one on this list who thinks elevating consensus to a general principle, whether it is Barlett's principle or some other, is a serious error. Does nobody else think that whether to use consensus or not for group decision making should depend on particular circumstances rather than having some simple "principle" or checklist that determines when it is suitable?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Bill Bartlett <william7 at aapt.net.au> wrote:
> As for your assertion that granting one member of a group a veto over use of
> the group's collective resources is "not only impractical but immoral", I
> assert to the contrary that you are absolutely wrong. That seems precisely
> to fit the bill of where consensus is appropriate and perhaps even
> essential.
<snip>
> However, in any economic organisation where there are no irreconcilable
> conflicts of interest, it follows that consensus decision making is
> possible.

So one union member among thousands should be able to "block" a strike? Or alternatively, if unions are a group with "irreconcilable conflicts of interest" this becomes an extremely broad exception. Again my argument is that consensus or non-consensus is something to decide on a case by case basis. There is no simple principle that determines when to use it. I'm accepting Graeber's definition of consensus as the right of one member to block. I will note that groups that try to reach consensus, but have a fallback practice of reverting to a majority or super-majority vote can be successful where true consensus won't be. Though again this is a case by case decision, not a general principle or default. Also as to your comment below, I've spent time in activist groups, and I will tell you that the ability to "block" is more an instrument of faction and intrigue than something that prevents it.