[lbo-talk] Graber on consensus

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Feb 26 14:22:37 PST 2013

Except that this is all theoretical. The actual historical accounts that I have read of consensus type action -- like the soviets in 1917 and the nurses strike in Vegas -- it didn't work like that at all.

If you read the accounts of how actions were decided and acted upon, it is always about the slow, grinding work of people learning to trust each other and work through issues, and it is because of that foundation that they were successful.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- OK here is an example. Strikes are not limited to small locals with under a few hundred members and general strikes. Often there are strikes that involve thousands or even tens of thousands of workers at once - transit systems, school districts and so on. When that many people are on strike it is likely that one out of a 1,000 or one in 10,000 will be a scab. I'm talking here about scabs who are union members, not outside scabs. But if you had consensus with the ability to block, the same person willing to scab in the current system would probably block the strike under a pure consensus system. So in fact any large local, or coordinated strikes with thousands has a good chance of "irreconcilable conflict" built in. In our current system, within large unions and especially large locals, ability to "block" a strike vote would be a disaster. So one of the cases that has been proposed as suitable for consensus looks like it is not..

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow Twitter: GarLipow Solving the Climate Crisis web page: SolvingTheClimateCrisis.com Grist Blog: http://grist.org/author/gar-lipow/ Online technical reference: http://www.nohairshirts.com