[lbo-talk] Barter economy in Greece

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 10:32:39 PST 2013

But currently the Greek state has been reduced to collecting money to pay interest and the police.

So maybe creating a dual economy is the only hope.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Where we read: "For local officials such as Panos Skotiniotis, the mayor of Volos, the alternative currency has proved to be an excellent way of supplementing the euro. "We are all for supporting alternatives that help alleviate the crisis's economic and social consequences," he said. "It won't ever replace the euro but it is really helping weaker members of our society. In all the social and cultural activities of the municipality, we are encouraging the Tem to be used."

[WS:] But that cuts into the tax base, no? You cannot pay taxes with Tems, you need Euros. So in a long run, this will lead to a neoliberal wet dream - no government and its services, just private markets.

-- Wojtek