[lbo-talk] Barter economy in Greece

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jan 3 10:37:16 PST 2013

Wojtek asks:

> But that cuts into the tax base, no?

I'm not sure how Greece does things, but in the US the answer would be no, or at least not by much. Given that these kinds of barter systems are used by the lowest income levels, they likely don't pay taxes anyway.

I'm frankly not sure what the point of such a system is; imagine they used Euro instead of Tem. Then what? Well, someone could sell their soap and oil ... and just leave! Without buying something from the other people at the market. I don't see how it changes anything.

> in a long run, this will lead to a neoliberal wet dream - no
> government and its services, just private markets.

Greece may get there with or without barter.

/jordan